Everything you want to know about probation
The most up-to-date data
This is the latest in my new series of compendiums of the latest data and trends in the criminal justice system. Following compendiums on prisons, sentencing, and offender equalities, this edition focuses on probation.
For the best experience, click through the visualisation at the bottom of this page, this allows you to hover over data points and see the exact data. If you can’t see the visualisation below on your device, you can find it here.
Topics covered include:
- The type of offences people are on probation for
- The decline of community sentences over the last decade
- Caseload figures (including changes in different forms of supervision)
- The offence profile of people on community supervision
- A breakdown of the popularity of different requirements on community orders and suspended sentence orders
- Successful completion rates (and reasons for termination) for community supervision
- The spectacular drop in the number of full Pre-Sentence reports
I hope you find them of use and interest.
Compendium last updated 3 December 2020
Criminal Justice Trends
Click below for up-to-date interactive charts using the latest official data.
Recent Probation Posts
Chris Trotter explains the collaborative family work model in youth justice in HMI Probation Academic Insights series.
Probation inspectors finds Covid-19 restrictions and backlogs mean no return to normal yet for probation.
Probation inspectorate research on the role of providers in building the probation evidence base.
HMPPS publishes final Target Operating Model and National Standards for unified model of probation.
Former Chief Inspector of Probation Andrew Bridges sets out an introduction to Modern Probation Theory.
Get involved in the UK’s biggest ever survey of peer mentors.
Comparing two predictors of sexual recidivism: the Risk Matrix 2000 and the OASys Sexual Reoffending Predictor
New government concordat establishes a whole system approach for women in or at risk of contact with the CJS.
All four of Her Majesty’s Justice Chief Inspectors express “grave concerns” about the potential long-term impact of Covid-19-related court backlogs.
HMI Probation effective practice guide on case supervision.
The pros and cons of probation supervision by phone.
Figures for 2019/20 show the worrying numbers of people dying while on probation supervision.