Everything you want to know about offender equality…
This is the latest in my new series of compendiums of the latest data and trends in the criminal justice system.
Following compendiums on prisons and sentencing, this edition focuses on offender equalities.
For the best experience, click through the visualisation at the bottom of this page, this allows you to hover over data points and see the exact data. If you can’t see the visualisation below on your device, you can find it here.
Alternatively, you can follow the links in the bullet points below to go to individual charts.
- Survey the fluctuations in the average annual FEMALE prison population every year since 1900
- Examine the number of female deaths in prison over the last decade
- See the overall ethnic composition of our prison population
- See the completion of prison accredited programmes by ethnicity
- See how old our prison population is
- Look at the prison population by sexuality
- See the changes in the prison Transgender population since 2016
- See how many mothers and children have been in prison mother and baby units (since 2011)
- Reoffending rates by ethnicity
- Breakdown of our prison population by religion
- Foreign national prisoners by region (between May 2015 and September 2019)
- Foreign national prisoners by nationality (between May 2015 and September 2019)
If you can’t see the visualisation below on your device, you can find it here.
Compendium last updated 24 November 2022
Criminal Justice Trends
Click below for up-to-date interactive charts using the latest official data.