Everything you want to know about probation
The most up-to-date data
This is the latest in my new series of compendiums of the latest data and trends in the criminal justice system. Following compendiums on prisons, sentencing, and offender equalities, this edition focuses on probation.
For the best experience, click through the visualisation at the bottom of this page, this allows you to hover over data points and see the exact data. If you can’t see the visualisation below on your device, you can find it here.
Topics covered include:
- The type of offences people are on probation for
- The decline of community sentences over the last decade
- Caseload figures (including changes in different forms of supervision)
- The offence profile of people on community supervision
- A breakdown of the popularity of different requirements on community orders and suspended sentence orders
- Successful completion rates (and reasons for termination) for community supervision
- The spectacular drop in the number of full Pre-Sentence reports
I hope you find them of use and interest.
Compendium last updated 3 December 2020
Criminal Justice Trends
Click below for up-to-date interactive charts using the latest official data.
Recent Probation Posts
Outgoing Chief Probation Inspector calls for an independent review of the Probation Service and makes a plea for localism.
HMI Probation follow up inspection of the probation service’s work promoting race equality for people on probation and staff remains “a work in progress”
A new history of probation exhibition is touring the country
The men and women working in UK prisons, IRCs, probation and youth justice are true #HiddenHeroes.
New HMI Probation research confirms the links between high quality probation supervision and reduced reoffending.
Latest (to June 2023) HMPPS prison and probation staffing figures not encouraging.
Russell digs into the data to shed more light on the prison recall problem.
MoJ annual Community Performance statistics publish the probation scorecard which raises many concerns
The latest prison and probation facts & figures from the 2022/23 HMPPS annual digest
Justice Data Lab analysis finds Thinking Skills Programme (TSP) does reduce reoffending
Criminal justice trends for summer 2023 including big jumps in recalls and prison punishments
Eoin Guilfoyle and Louise Kennefick set out a tripartite strategy for unpaid work