He qualified as a probation officer in the UK and worked with offenders in North and East London. He also worked for a range of voluntary sector organisations with homeless people, ex-offenders and young people at risk in both this country and the USA.
Russell developed his consultancy skills through work with two national voluntary organisations, Drugscope and the DIVERT Trust.
Since 1996 Russell has worked full time as an independent consultant specialising in the fields of substance misuse and crime.
He is the author or co-author of over thirty national publications on issues relating to drugs, alcohol and offending. He is also a Health Education Authority certified trainer.
As an independent consultant and trainer, Russell seeks to keep at the forefront of policy and practice development while maintaining hands-on experience of work with the local voluntary sector. He balances a portfolio which includes international research studies, national policy advice and needs assessment and evaluation work with community organisations.
Russell continues to specialise in multi-agency partnership work and has recently developed expertise in both payment by results and digital engagement.
His current work incudes:
- Providing advice on payment by results schemes to commissioners and providers.
- Consultancy and support to probation trusts and voluntary sector organisations around Transforming Rehabilitation.
- Work on best commissioning practice and on redesigning local substance misuse treatment systems.
- Training and consultancy advice on the effective use of social media.
- Consultancy work including tender preparation for a number of drug treatment providers.
- Evaluation of a number of projects across the reoffending, substance misuse and arts sectors.
You can find my full CV here.
Russell also plays tenor saxophone but falls a long way short of sounding like his namesake Ben, as you can tell from this clip (listener beware): How long has this been going on?
Sign up for free to get all the new posts by typing your email address in the box at the top of the sidebar on the right.