The infographic below from the MoJ shows some of the major differences between men and women in the criminal justice system.
As you can see:
- Women are (slightly) less likely to be victims of personal crime
- Women are more likely to commit minor (summary) offences
- Women are less likely to be sentenced to immediate custody
- Women are more likely to self-harm in custody – over one quarter of self-harm incidents are by women although they only make up 4.6% prison population
- Women are less likely to re-offend
I found the table on aggravating and mitigating factors in Crown Court particularly interesting.
The data are mainly from 2013 and 2014 but the trends identified have been established over many years.